Between 1957 and 1970 Cheoy Lee produced approximatley 133 folkboats originaly sold as the the Offshore 25, better known as the Frisco Flyer.

There were three versions of this small blue-water boat.
91 in all wood and 42 in Fiberglass with wood. There were 55 Type I's and II's and 78 of the Type III's. The Type I (aka the Pacific Clipper) was an all wood boat, had a mast that was stepped through the deck, a traditional folkboat fractional rig and a smaller cabin. The Type II's had a larger teak trunk cabin and a masthead rig. The Type III's had a larger teak dog-house cabin, some "standing" headroom and a masthead rig stepped on deck. The earlier Type III's were solid teak built onto a fiberglass hull and the later Type III’s (1966-1970) were made entirely out of fiberglass with teak paneling.

This boat, Yard # 1507 is one of approximatley only 30 Type III's left. It was out of the water for the previous 16 years when I got it and then about another 5 more while I rebuilt it. It was an empty, cracked hull when given to me and needed a complete restoration/refit.
It took about five years of long nights and weekends of working outside under a tarp, in the garage or in the boat during cold winter nights, wet rainy afternoons and everything in between. The occasionally eager assistant on the project was my four (now ten) year old daughter who can have this boat as soon as I convince her mother to get another one. This blog is the record of all the work that "we" have done to the boat as well as some other somewhat related events with friends and family. Eventually, this will be put together in a book which will stay with the boat.


She still has plenty more to go but for now, Jackaroe has been in the water for a couple years now and thats all that matters...

To see past projects, use the links below.



Questions and comments to Matthewearlgarthwait@gmail.com





Thursday, August 30, 2007

Portlights over pizza.

Before the cabin house sides get finished or the new decking goes down, I want to replace/reinstall the portslights. Over the last week or so, I've been cleaning up all the trim pieces that came off. They were really shot and in various states of neglect. Some had epoxy and others had old failed varnish and others seemed to have nothing on them at all and were covered in deep grooves where the grain had been exposed to the elements. Over the last few nights, I had been sanding and cleaning up the wooden trim pieces that cover the port lights. I then covered them with a couple coats of epoxy which essentially turned them into shiny pieces of rock hard plastic. Hopefully next week, they will go back on the the cabinhouse, over the glass, get bunged and will still need several coats of varnish for UV protection. The glass itself was basically OK. There was one broken portlight facing the bow up forward. That one was replaced and the rest seemed decent enough (some small scratches around the edges) to just clean up and reinstall. Maybe someday, in a few years I'll get new glass for all of them but not this time around.

Tonight's goal was to clean up, scrape off the old caulk, varnish and epoxy around the edges of the glass. I also had to make the kid dinner and be a good Papa, so I suggested to her that she eat her dinner out on the boat while I worked out there so we could hang out. She was so excited, you would have thought we were really going sailing. We went out there, she pulled out the little table in the cockpit area and ate her pizza, milk and yogurt while I scraped and cleaned the glass and did some other things. While we were doing this, she pretended to be on the water and the dogs who were running around under the boat, were sharks and the cars t at were driving by the house were other boats whose treasure she was going to take. She found the hidden drawer in the table and that where she plans to hide all her gold and silver in their. She made this disclosure to me in a wisper so the sharks, who were now pirates swimming around, didn't hear her plan.

We had a great time, I finished what I wanted to and we had a lot of fun together. I wished I could have taken some pictures of it, but the camera is waterlogged/broken from the sailing trip on the Cape.




Even I wont want to read this if there are no more pictures...I need to get a new camera soon.



No comments: