Between 1957 and 1970 Cheoy Lee produced approximatley 133 folkboats originaly sold as the the Offshore 25, better known as the Frisco Flyer.

There were three versions of this small blue-water boat.
91 in all wood and 42 in Fiberglass with wood. There were 55 Type I's and II's and 78 of the Type III's. The Type I (aka the Pacific Clipper) was an all wood boat, had a mast that was stepped through the deck, a traditional folkboat fractional rig and a smaller cabin. The Type II's had a larger teak trunk cabin and a masthead rig. The Type III's had a larger teak dog-house cabin, some "standing" headroom and a masthead rig stepped on deck. The earlier Type III's were solid teak built onto a fiberglass hull and the later Type III’s (1966-1970) were made entirely out of fiberglass with teak paneling.

This boat, Yard # 1507 is one of approximatley only 30 Type III's left. It was out of the water for the previous 16 years when I got it and then about another 5 more while I rebuilt it. It was an empty, cracked hull when given to me and needed a complete restoration/refit.
It took about five years of long nights and weekends of working outside under a tarp, in the garage or in the boat during cold winter nights, wet rainy afternoons and everything in between. The occasionally eager assistant on the project was my four (now ten) year old daughter who can have this boat as soon as I convince her mother to get another one. This blog is the record of all the work that "we" have done to the boat as well as some other somewhat related events with friends and family. Eventually, this will be put together in a book which will stay with the boat.


She still has plenty more to go but for now, Jackaroe has been in the water for a couple years now and thats all that matters...

To see past projects, use the links below.



Questions and comments to Matthewearlgarthwait@gmail.com





Sunday, June 24, 2007

Gaps in cabin house boards...filled!

The last couple of days have been great on the boat. I finally tackled the gaps in the cabin house boards.
Before...

I cant wait to see the whole topside painted and varnished, the stanchions and hardware back on etc. so the boat at least starts too take on a finished look on the outside.
But before I can do any of that, I have to replace the old and missing splines. The splines that were there had dried out and fallen out. Most of them anyways, the rest I encouraged out. Whether or not these were added during the refit in Noank in 77/78 or if they were original in 65, either way they've been for most of this boats life and they never seemed to cause a problem, never cracked a port light or anything else so the plan is to replace them rather than remove the cabin house and rebuild the sides. No thanks, i do want to go sailing before my kid leaves for college.
With the splines out, the gaps left behind were all different sizes and some tapered all the way from 1/4 inch down to long hairline cracks. I had planned on just routing out all the gaps to some uniform size and then cutting up a bunch of splines to match for convenience. I ended up though just cutting about a million little different sized teak splines of different sizes and tapers, dry fitting them like puzzle pieces and adjusting each one to fit with a small plane and sanding. Each one had a custom fit. I then layed them in with some one part epoxy and the next day took the bulk of the excess off with a small plane and sanded it flush.

They look perfect except the splines are a shade brighter them the walls. It should all even out once I wipe it down with some tinted grain filler then undercoat with West System and finally with varnish.
After...only partially sanded, but looks good....


BUT... before I can finish the cabin walls with West and varnish, I need to replace and make new teak trim that goes around the bottom of the interior walls and around the bulkheads.
BUT before that I need to finish the bulkheads themselves which means tabbing them in and painting to match the way they were in 65.
BUT, before that I need to decide what to do with the chainplates. If they're going to be on kness glassed to the bulkheads then I have to do that first.

I haven't done any glassing on the boat at all yet and there are so many small things which need to be done/repaired with fiberglass and epoxy that I should just get started. All the chainplates, the stringers separating the sections of ballast need to be re glassed, the bulkheads need to be tabbed in for rigidity/strength, the bases for the berths and cabinets need to be tabbed, the (motor well needs to be cleaned, degreased and) re-glassed , I'm thinking of glassing in the sheerclamp when its repaired and of course the DECK needs to be finished.

No comments: